Montag, 28. Juli 2008

The way I travel

Since I'm currently suffering from "downtime" in Lima - somehow the city has been good for company, wine and seafood but not much else - and am being frustrated at every turn in my quest to download images from my CF-card, I'll turn to a subject that's been on my mind for a while: the way I travel.



To make it quite plain right from the start, I'm weird (some would add "and wonderful" but that one's hotly disputed). Thus, I'm currently travelling for 3 1/2 months through Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia and to be perfectly honest, I don't always enjoy the act of travelling.



That is to say, I'm perfectly able to enjoy myself in most places, but getting on a bus i.e. from Quito - which I quite liked - to Puerto Lopez was a bit of a drag: you've got to pack your bags, sling them over your shoulder, get to the bus station (usually at some uncomfortable hour), buy a ticket, settle into a seat and stay there for hours on end, whilst keeping in mind that your destination may not turn out the way you want. Whilst on the bloody thing, you're in a confined space, the countryside (especially between Quito and Pto Lopez) may not be much to look at, you get to your destination pretty well knackered, hungry and thirsty.



Travelling, for me, was mostly something to be quite anxious about. I notice that I've become a lot more relaxed about it in the last weeks, but at the start it was quite disquieting. Okay, so travelling with other people, rather than solo, is nicer. But the more buses I take, the more I find I'm starting to enjoy the change of pace associated with sitting around for hours and finally being able to get around to that book/that diary entry I've been putting off for so long.



I'm usually happy to stay in places I've decided to travel to, but getting there isn't always the greatest thing since sliced bread!



Oh, and Felizes Fiestas Patrias desde Peru!

Keine Kommentare: