Sonntag, 7. September 2008

Photos 4.2: Potosi, Bolivia

Would you believe there was a whole week after my trip to the jungle when I DIDN'T take a single pic? Well, that phase had well and truly passed by my second day in Potosi.



So while you were still watching jungle pics, I discovered the city - famed for its mountain of silver, the Cerro Rico - from above... alright, a little bit above.

First, though, I spent a couple of hours at the casa de la moneda - Potosi's famous museum detailing the history of the town. Since taking pictures doubled the price of entrance, I didn't (a video tripled the price). I'm not particularly inspired when taking pictures of museums anyway, so you're not missing out on much!



What I discovered afterwards, though, was a theatre tucked away uphill from the cathedral on the main square, seeming inside an old concert hall. Somewhat dilapidated seats stared vacantly at a small stage...



...while the ceiling held some of its former glory, looking down splendidly on a small stage.



And then there was a mirador or viewpoint for a supposedly decent view over the rooftops of the city. Turns out that was very much worth the 5 Bolivianos.



Climbing up an hour or so before sundown, I was faced with blue skies...



...the typically cluttered view into streets mostly packed with buses engulfed in exhaust fumes...



...the pockmarked and pitted Cerro Rico in all its splendour...



...and a bloody freezing wind.



To stay warm, I had me a nice hot chocolate in the cafe below and resolved to climb up again at sunset to capture this fine piece of jumping lore!

Now all the pictures from my excursion to the depths of the mine - including me holding a stick of dynamite with an unlit fuse and looking slightly unhinged - are on another card that I haven't been able to access so far. Be patient.

Keine Kommentare: