Freitag, 5. September 2008

Literary tour d'horizon

I know you've not asked for this and probably don't care, but as long as this is a mostly one-way medium, I do what I bloody well like on this blog :-)

No pics today, I'm afraid, because my card readers (yes, that's the despairing plural) are acting up and power outages are making nonsense of prolonged uploads anyway. Rather, I've decided to tell you about some reading I've done, I'm doing and I'd like to be doing. I've lots of time for this on bus journeys, but the quality of reading has been very uneven due to lack of suitable book exchanges in places.

What I've most enjoyed reading so far:
  • Jon Krakauer - Into the Wild
  • John Hemming - The Conquest of the Incas
  • Joseph Stiglitz - The Chances of Globalization (in German)

What I'm currently reading:
  • Amin Maalouf - The crusades through Arab eyes (in French)

Authors I've learnt to loathe with passion for their vile use of language and utterly hopeless style and won't touch again with a ten-foot pole:
  • Michael Crichton
  • Robert Ludlum

What I'd like to be reading instead of writing all this :-)

All in all, a fairly mixed bag, although my list of to-reads has grown in length as my access to quality has waned. (I know I'm multiplying my requests for donations here, but please consider giving my Amazon.de wishlist a look ;-) I've no shame anymore, if you must know.)



PS: yes, I managed to get some money out by travelling for 3h to the next biggest town and back; yes, whilst your reading this, I should be crossing the Andes into Argentina... by bus, not on foot! And yes, I met some interesting people - current and past Chilean revolutionaries, French-speaking Chileans with Swiss accents and people to share some good wine with and jabber on about the state of the world!

Thank you for your expressions of concern :-)

Keine Kommentare: