Montag, 2. Juni 2008

I'm looking forward to ... - #1

Rereading the posts below, I seem to be in a perpetual bad mood, so I've decided to add something about what I'm looking forward to on my trip, to counter-balance (even though I can think of half a dozen things off the top of my head that I could whinge about for a post or two... vaccinations that make you feel like a semi-trailer ran over you etc ... but don't get me started).

*** short interlude while I check whether our cellar has flooded yet due to the buckets of water coming down from above - wow, Zeus is REALLY pissed today ***





Peru - Ausangate Circuit

6 days, only 70km
BUT "Most of the route, and all of the camp sites, lie above 4400m and four high passes are crossed, two above 5000m"



What do you get for all your toil, sweat and tears?

"varied and spectacular mountain scenery, lots of wildlife and traditionally dressed indigenous inhabitants going on about their lives as they have for centuries." It's a complete circle around the Nevado Ausangate, the highest mountain in the region at 6372m. "In no other part of the peruvian mountains has the indigenous culture survived as unadulterated as here."

Okay, I'm a dreamer, but doesn't this just conjure up incredible scenery: The trek "features varied scenery, including fluted icy peaks, tumbling glaciers and turquoise lakes, rolling brown puna (one of the 8 geophysical regions of Peru - roughly speaking between 3500 and 4100m elevation) and green marshy valleys."

And being a full circle trek, there are hot springs at the beginning and - more importantly - the end of the hike to relax and chill in.

It's only rated as a trek of moderate difficulty on a scale from easy to difficult in my Lonely Planet Trekking guide, so I should be able to convince a few other people to tag along, then find a guide and possibly some burros in the little town at the start of the hike.

Perfect, wouldn't you say?




Oh, and just to give you an insight into my state of mind at the moment: favourite song right now is (on repeat, because I'm obsessive) Les Wampas - Rimini.
Admittedly, it's about the death of the italian cyclist Marco Pantani in a hotel at the seaside resort of Rimini... but it's a great tune!

Tu allais plus haut plus vite que les autres,
J'espère que tu n'a pas raté le paradis



Keine Kommentare: