Dienstag, 26. August 2008

Parque Nacional Madidi - 4 - wildlife galore

*** Right, first of all, I have to admit it seems I spoke too hastily as far as ticks were concerned.

Ended up plucking three fully-gorged little bastards off my skin this morning. The dears must have been drowsy from the freezing temperatures at night, the cold shower I was forced to have this morning ... oh and of course all of my blood they feasted on.

I gotta say, though, there's nothing quite as satisfying as hearing the sharp crack as you crush them between glass and the tiled floor! ***




So this is still Day 2 - please don't ask how many frames I shot that day, it makes me want to weep. Suffice it to say I had to dial down the quality to Large JPG in order to leave some space on the 16GB card.



All of a sudden, Rodolfo grabs my arm and stops me dead in my tracks no farther than 3m from this little one.



He didn't hiss, didn't budge, almost didn't show his tongue and I'm sure I wouldn't have seen him for all the looking around I as doing. First time I was glad my macro function had a minimum focal distance of about 150cm.



This Mariposa sat perfectly still while I pranced about changing lenses and mucking about with settings in the semi-darkness. I sometimes wish some of my human motifs showed as much patience!



The anonymous ones again - scooting through the canopy above us.



Ah yes, something straight out of Peter Pan: remember the Crock that had swallowed Captain Hook's watch as well as the had holding it? Well, every time the crock drew near, Hook would get unnerved by the tick-tock-tick-tock.

If only there'd been some sound from the Caymans lying in wait for us!



We had to cross this rickety bridge-contraption on our way to lunch, and I was convinced the planks were more suitable to a Cayman-buffet, being within easy reach of their jaws as they laid in wait underneath it. Rodolfo crossed very gingerly, and I was practically tiptoeing across, all the while looking out for a telltale ripple in the water.



We found one of these beautifully-coloured butterflies trapped inside the mosquito netting of the hut we rested in...



...and it was nice enough to allow us to take a peek at the inside of its wings... okay, so it didn't altogether do this voluntaril, but I assure zou we were gentle.

Ah, and then there was this little guy - a lesser anteater or Southern Tamandu, if you must know - who was shuffling around the forest floor before spotting us and trying to climb to safety.



Unfortunately he picked a much-too-slender sapling, that bent backwards under his weight almost all the way to the ground again and had us laughing our heads off...



...which he commented with loud hissing noises and an acrobatics number, worthy of a circus artist.



Once safely ensconced high above, he glared at us reproachfully for a while, and I finally had the time to change lenses; because of course, if you just happen upon an animal close by, you'll be sure to have an utterly inadequate lens mounted on your camera!

Keine Kommentare: